Solskjaer confirms Cavani and van de Beek won't play against Real Sociedad
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered an injury update ahead of Manchester United’s return to Europa League action tomorrow night.
Solskjaer’s press conference ahead of the game against Real Soceidad was streamed live on United’s official app at 1pm.
He spoke about five players in total, and confirmed that Edinson Cavani and Donny van de Beek will not even travel for the game.
When pressed, he said the duo – who both featured against West Brom on Sunday – have muscle injuries which will keep them out.
“Paul (Pogba) is recovering well, he’s starting his treatment. He’s still a few weeks away – he won’t be playing in February, that’s for sure,” said Solskjaer.
“Apart from that a couple of them are doubtful. Anthony (Martial) and Scott (McTominay) – we will have to check them tomorrow. Donny (van de Beek) and Edinson (Cavani) are definitely not travelling.
“Donny and Edinson are injured. They have muscle injuries so they won’t travel with us.”
Cavani may well have been given the evening off anyway, as United seek to manage the workload of the 34-year-old striker.
But the injury is a blow for van de Beek, who might have been hoping for a game to try to kickstart his United career.
Perhaps European football might have suited the tempo the Dutchman likes to play at a bit more, as well.
Solskjaer didn’t give an indication of how serious the injuries were. But hopefully both summer signings are fit to face Newcastle on Sunday.
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue