Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is attempting to spread the minutes around this week and keep his fringe players happy.
We looked at a possible starting XI for the midweek Carabao Cup tie against West Ham which included 11 changes.
Anthony Elanga was listed in our extra list of five young players who United could include in the matchday squad.
The selection is complicated by tonight’s EFL Trophy game for under-21 players, which Elanga is eligible for.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer however has confirmed Elanga will be with the first team squad for the West Ham game.
Elanga ‘will be involved’
Speaking to United’s official website, Solskjaer said: “Anthony was terrific in pre-season – his attitude, his enthusiasm, his directness. I love to see players like this.
“He was disappointed not to travel down to West Ham [for Sunday’s Premier League game] but he scored for the Under-23s and now he’s ready. He’ll be involved in the squad.”
Injury halted Elanga’s momentum after scoring twice in his opening pre-season games.
Hopes of staking a claim to the first team in Marcus Rashford’s absence seem to have fallen away, but this cup tie could give him the chance he has been waiting for.
Elanga dropped into he under-23s for a tune-up game ahead of this one, in which he won a penalty and scored it.
Impressive scoring record
Elanga, 19, scored a brace in a recent Sweden under-21 win over Montenegro.
In his last 11 appearances for Manchester United’s first team, competitive or friendly, the under-23s, and Sweden’s under-21s, going back to the end of last season, Elanga has 10 goals.
Whether involved from the start or from the bench against West Ham, Elanga will be desperate to take his chance, having netted for the first team on his last competitive appearance against Wolves at the end of last season.
Elanga’s pace and dribbling ability makes him a tricky opponent for teams to face, and he has also developed a knack of scoring headers too, doing so for United’s first team and Sweden’s under-21s during his recent run of goals.
- Edinson Cavani sends one word message to Manchester United fans
- Manchester United and Atalanta are polar opposites in one specific category
- Brandon Williams may have to be patient to regain Norwich starting spot
- Lack of Pogba to Ronaldo connection is biggest attacking disappointment
- How Manchester United could line-up v Atalanta in 3-5-2 formation
- Manchester United’s weakened defence have to contain in-form Duvan Zapata
- Marcus Rashford return could help Luke Shaw rediscover best form
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit