Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has explained his team selection for Manchester United’s clash with Villarreal.
Solskjaer refused to rule Luke Shaw out of the match at his pre-match press conference, but he isn’t fit to play here.
The United boss offered a brief update on the fitness of the England defender.
He also said that Diogo Dalot, Alex Telles and Jadon Sancho are very keen to take their chance from the start tonight.
“We pick the players who we think are going to play well together. We have a couple of injuries at the back and we have put a team together that we think is going to cause problems and we also know we have to defend,” he told the club website.
“Alex and Diogo have been waiting for their chance so they have got it now. That is what they always train for and they are ready. Jadon has had his chances and we are building him up.
“Against Young Boys, we got a sending off early and that was the choice we made [to take him off]. Jadon is ready.”
He added to BT Sport: “Luke hasn’t trained so there’s no chance. Let’s see how long he’s out for.”
Shaw might well be back for the game against Everton at the weekend, but it’s not an especially good sign that he hasn’t trained since limping off against Aston Villa.
Gareth Southgate’s England squad will also shed some light on Shaw’s fitness and where he’s at.
It’s a big night for Telles and Dalot and they are two attacking full backs who were in need of an opportunity to shine.
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters