Shola Shoretire scores the only goal as United U19s win 1-0 in UEFA Youth League
Manchester United’s first team endured a dismal evening against Young Boys last night, losing 2-1 late on.
But it wasn’t just the senior sides who went up against each other yesterday. The two teams met in the UEFA Youth League too.
The result was more positive for United there, scooping a 1-0 win hours before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side took to the pitch.
Shola Shoretire netted the only goal of the match in the first half to seal the victory.
This was United wonderkid Shoretire’s first goal in the competition, but he does have history with it.
He became the youngest player to appear in the UEFA Youth League as a 14-year-old substitute versus Valencia in 2018.
Shoretire offered another example of his quality here, in a side captained by Teden Mengi.
After the match, the forward took to Instagram to send a message about his delight at scoring the winner.
There were messages of congratulations in the replies from plenty of teammates, as well as players at other clubs such as Tottenham’s Dane Scarlett and Aston Villa’s Jacob Ramsey.
Shoretire was included in the Europa League squad on occasion last season and became Manchester United’s youngest ever player in European competition after coming on against Real Sociedad.
He might have his eye on a Champions League cameo, although United’s first result has lessened the chance of there being any dead rubbers at the end of the group stage.
Even on a disappointing night for the senior side, Shoretire had something to smile about.
- Only 3 players who started Manchester United's last win at Etihad likely to start under Ten Hag
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League