Manchester United youngster Shola Shoretire was called up to train with the first team on Thursday.
Teenage talent Shoretire has spent the past month and a half with the under-23s despite impressing in pre-season for the first team.
Shoretire’s call-up comes after he scored in successive games, netting in the under-23 defeat to Arsenal last weekend, and the winning goal over Young Boys in the UEFA under-19s Youth League. He also has one assist.
Thanks in part to his good form, Shoretire was pictured in first team training, spotted below with fellow youngster Teden Mengi.
Shoretire was also seen in a group of pictures below tweeted out by the club’s social media account, in the top right along with Anthony Martial and Scott McTominay.
The timing of Shoretire’s call up into training is pretty interesting. It obviously acknowledges his recent impressive form.
Shoretire missed out on the chance to train with the first team during the international break when the likes of Alvaro Fernandez and Joe Hugill stepped up. This was because he was with the England under-19s squad.
It is key to note that Manchester United’s Carabao Cup clash is less than a week away.
United will be assessing Shoretire ahead of potential involvement in the game. He has already made three first team appearances, all from the bench.
Shoretire’s best chance may be from the bench. Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard are also in contention to get minutes.
United also have a EFL Trophy game for the under-21s against Bradford on Tuesday night, with the Carabao Cup game at West Ham on the Wednesday. Shoretire could be involved in either.
Shoretire will likely start for the under-23s on Saturday at home to Brighton as the team look to secure a first win of the season after a start with two draws followed by two losses.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool