Tom Heaton enjoyed an impressive 45 minutes upon his Manchester United return at the weekend.
Goalkeeper Heaton kept a clean sheet during his half of football in United’s 2-1 away win at Derby.
He made a smart diving save to deny Derby a goal from close range after a header from a corner.
Heaton was delighted to be back, posting on Instagram that it felt great to pull on the United shirt again.
His performance was praised by Scott McTominay as ‘class’, while former Aston Villa teammate John McGinn took a gentle pop at him, suggesting his shirt was too big.
Here to compete
Tom Heaton is not just at Manchester United to make up the numbers.
While establishing himself as a number one seems impossible, Heaton is in no mood to admit it.
Speaking after the win at Derby, Heaton said: “I’ve had a fair bit of experience under my belt so I think I can add perhaps a different dimension to the department.
“There’ll be a professional respect and support all the way through it. But personally that’s the aim, everywhere I’ve been in my career you step on and try and get in the team.”
Heaton provides United with extra back up whatever happens with David de Gea and Dean Henderson.
He should be more than capable of filling in for cup games if required and his performance at Derby should provide a lot of confidence for supporters, the coaching staff, and Heaton himself.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad