Mason Greenwood is becoming one of the favourites to win Europe’s Golden Boy Award.
His main rivals are Borussia Dortmund duo Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho, who each have really strong claims.
So just think about the potential for a moment if United are able to win the battle to sign Sancho this summer, as The Telegraph insist we plan to do .
This will give United two of the world’s best, elite, young players, ready to dominate for years to come.
This is an exciting time for English football. There are a number of bright young stars emerging. But no club has two.
Manchester City fans are rightly excited about Phil Foden. He looks like he could be a special player.
At Arsenal, the performances of Bukayo Saka this season have exceeded expectations. He already has 12 assists.
United are able to boast Mason Greenwood, who has 15 goals already this season.
Now add Sancho to the mix alongside him as United hope to do, and this is a partnership which can elevate the Red Devils back to the top of English football.
Don’t be fooled by talk of the pair competing for the right wing spot. This may only be the case in the short term.
Sancho can also play on the left, as can Greenwood, while the latter’s best eventual position is likely to be as a central striker. The fluid nature of their ability to play in different positions will make this work.
Sancho ended the season with 20 goals and 18 assists for Dortmund. Greenwood has 15 goals and two assists himself, via limited game time.
And this is without mentioning Marcus Rashford’s 20 goals and six assists, and Anthony Martial’s 20 goals and three assists.
The potential of this attacking trio is frightening. Add Jadon Sancho to the mix too and it really becomes a nightmare for opponents.
These numbers being put up by Sancho and Greenwood are just a glimpse of what they can do. They may be five, six, seven years away from their peak, perhaps even further away.
We saw how Cristiano Ronaldo just exploded into life in 2006/07 when he upped his game to score 42 goals in a single season.
Who knows what Greenwood may be capable of in four years time, or even just next season with Sancho alongside him.
It is a combination which can thrive for England at international level as well as on the club scene.
Our domestic rivals have a lot of talent, and pose their own threats, but United are building something special.
Without Sancho we can be very good still. With him, we could become the force United once were, and this almost limitless potential of young attacking combinations should push United into paying up for the young winger.
- Michael Owen says he expects Manchester United to challenge for the title
- Manchester United fans predict Sancho deal will be announced on the 7th
- A look back at Ethan Laird’s statement of intent for United one year ago
- The cost of slashing Jack Grealish’s asking price may be one Solskjaer won’t want to consider
- Three reasons Jadon Sancho to Manchester United finally looks to be on
- United success in the Europa League would be bittersweet for unlucky Luke Shaw
- Dortmund sale of Dembele offers hope for United over structured payments
- Bruno Fernandes among Manchester United stars in training ahead of LASK tie
- Borthwick-Jackson and Gribbin find new clubs, Traore wanted in France