Cristiano Ronaldo broke the international goalscoring record on Wednesday night.
He is now on 111 Portugal goals after a late double against the Republic of Ireland to secure a 2-1 win.
Ronaldo’s former United captain Roy Keane was asked about the superstar during ITV’s coverage of Hungary v England (9.55pm, 02/09).
Keane is usually understated with his punditry but it’s clear to see the regard he holds Ronaldo in.
“It’s amazing,” said Keane of Ronaldo’s record. “Ireland put up a great battle, Ronaldo looked off – he missed the penalty – but you just see what he’s about.
“Getting into the box, end product and two brilliant headers. The first one, very, very brave.
“The second goal, the movement, the accuracy of the header. How many times can I say it? The guy’s a genius.
“I was surprised when it all happened last Friday. I know people question it but the guy is still world-class. We saw that [against Ireland]. His football intelligence is great, I can’t wait to see him back at United.”
Having Ronaldo up front means United will have a constant goal threat and somebody capable of scoring goals out of nothing.
He remains absolutely lethal and a huge upgrade on Anthony Martial, when he puts in performances like he did against Southampton last month.
It’s great to see him finding the back of the net before he links up with United, and who would bet against him bagging a goal against Newcastle on his second debut next Saturday?
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys