Bizarre deadline day reports emerged linking Edinson Cavani with a Manchester United exit.
Cavani was mentioned in connection with a move to Barcelona after Cristiano Ronaldo’s return was confirmed.
Now transfer expert Fabrizio Romano has responded to the rumours, and said it’s not happening.
Rumours didn’t really make much sense
United were very keen to get Cavani to stay for another season. Even with Ronaldo arriving, the Uruguayan can have a huge campaign.
Barcelona’s financial issues are well-publicised. How would they have afforded Cavani?
Cavani is loved by United fans. Ronaldo’s arrival just means his gametime can be managed carefully.
The man making way for Ronaldo looks like being Daniel James and it will be great for the Welshman to go somewhere he can play more regularly.
That might allow Cavani to take up the Welshman’s number 21 shirt, leaving seven free for Ronaldo.
But the pair of experienced frontmen look set to spend the season playing alongside each other and it’s a mouthwatering prospect.
- Conte may be a serial winner domestically but he hasn’t cracked Europe
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation
- Three quick fix signings Manchester United could make in January to get back on track
- Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo