Manchester United are making progress in their bid to sign Raphael Varane but he remains a Real Madrid player.
The French international reported back to Madrid’s training ground today, as per Spanish outlet Marca.
He was joined by fellow Euro 2020 stars Toni Kroos and Gareth Bale, the latter of course returning after a year’s loan at Tottenham. Varane was pictured in the bottom right of these images released by Real.
How much can we read into this?
In short, that’s not clear. But Varane is clearly not refusing to go into training to force through a move or anything like that. He won’t disrespect Real on his way out after 10 years at the club.
The speed the negotiations move at likely depend on how stubborn United want to be in terms of forcing the price down.
It was reported earlier this week that Madrid would sell by Sunday for £52 million.
But Varane has just one year left on his contract and United look set to try and use that to get a bargain.
That of course leaves the door open for another potential suitor to come in, pay the money and nab Varane from under our noses, which won’t do anything to relax United fans.
- Manchester United stars including Ronaldo respond to Bruno Fernandes
- Teammates react to 17-year-old’s three assists with Ronaldo comments
- Ethan Laird is one of the Championship’s best dribblers
- Greenwood petrified Villa but he lacked composure at crucial moments
- Varane leadership crucial ahead of first United Champions League start