Ralf Rangnick says he is disappointed by Manchester United’s FA Cup draw against Aston Villa.
The third round draw was made on Monday and the only positive is United will host the tie at Old Trafford in early January.
Complicating matters is the fact United head to Villa Park the following week in the Premier League, a matter Rangnick brought up.
Rangnick told the club website: “We didn’t get the easiest draw in the FA Cup to be honest against Aston Villa, we now play them two times in one week.
“It’s one of three direct Premier League duels in the FA Cup, so there were a few easier draws possible but in the end it’s like another Premier League game and this is exactly how we will approach this game.”
A tricky game for United
By comparison, Manchester City drew Swindon Town, Chelsea face Chesterfield and Liverpool face Shrewsbury Town.
As Rangnick points out, it is not necessarily the tie itself which is problematic for United, but the knock-on effect the following week.
A tough draw makes it hard to rest players and rotate the squad, essential at a busy time of year. The game at Old Trafford is a must-win, especially with old rival Steven Gerrard as Villa boss.
The competition is also United’s best route to potentially win a trophy.
Even if the lose, Villa will give United a tough game the following week, perhaps spurred on by the frustration of defeat.
There are replays in the third and fourth round of the cup this year, and neither manager will want a draw at Old Trafford, which would mean United and Villa play three times in a row.
Villa managed to beat United at Old Trafford earlier in the season under former boss Dean Smith.
Earlier this season United faced West Ham in consecutive league and cup games, and followed up an initial victory with a defeat.
- Rangnick should reward talented Manchester United youngster after eye-catching display
- Manchester United would be foolish not to pursue signing 'unplayable' £135m man on a free transfer
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview