It’s international week, so Spain defender Pau Torres finds himself linked with a move to Manchester United once again.
This time the links may be worth taking more seriously, with the summer transfer window creeping up.
The MEN report Torres would be open to a move to Manchester United this summer if the opportunity came along.
The report also highlights that Torres is a left-footed defender, which would provide balance to United’s backline.
United’s transfer priorities are constantly evolving ahead of the transfer window, and it’s unclear at this stage how much money will be devoted to signing a centre-back.
Torres has a release clause of £52 million in his contract, which is not over the top like Jules Kounde’s, but United may be able to get him cheaper.
This is because The MEN report Villarreal are open to a swap deal, and United do have the perfect player for this, Eric Bailly.
United signed Bailly from Villarreal in 2016 for £30 million and SkySports report he is unhappy at being third choice.
While Bailly is a fan favourite at Old Trafford, he has taken nearly five years to play 100 games, amid a succession of injuries.
Pau Torres has played 70 games in the past two seasons combined, and this season is not yet complete.
Purely from a viewpoint of reliability, Torres is an upgrade on Bailly, and if Villarreal are open to a swap deal, then this should work for United.
Villarreal would get a popular replacement for Torres into the bargain, and Bailly would be given his chance to play regular football, and see if he can hold up to it. At United he is third choice, and that does not look like changing.
Torres has had strong season
United could see Pau Torres in the Europa League final should we get there. The La Liga side are one of the stronger teams in the other half of the draw.
He is thriving under Unai Emery at Villarreal, who was quoted by Football.London: “Pau Torres is an amazing player – I think he’s top,”I’ve been a coach in Sevilla, PSG, Arsenal and I’ve never seen a centre-back like Pau Torres.
“I think he’s going to play at the highest level, he’s playing now in the national team but he can play in the top teams in the Europe very soon.”
Torres’ smart style of defending has seen him pick up just one booking in 32 appearances this season.
Real Madrid are also keen on Torres as a potential successor for Sergio Ramos, Goal report.
Despite our earlier talk about his generally very good reliability, Torres is not in the Spain squad this week due to his first injury of the season. It’s a minor muscle issue, and he is expected back in April for his club.
- Ralf Rangnick’s fingerprints all over potential Manchester United exit
- Manchester United transfer target wins club’s player of the season
- Alejandro Garnacho hears the words he has been waiting for, it should be third time lucky
- Bruno Fernandes and Benni McCarthy react as goalkeeper leaves Manchester United
- Manchester United path to sign Moises Caicedo looks more difficult than ever
- Juventus set to make last-ditch attempt to keep Manchester United transfer target
- Donny van de Beek makes decision on his future, per Fabrizio Romano
- £35m Manchester United target advised to switch to La Liga instead
- 40 goal contributions: Manchester United star has performed beyond expectation
- Jack Butland sends message as he leaves Manchester United and Rangers move announced