We are still waiting for confirmation on the status of Odion Ighalo after his loan deal ‘expired’ last night.
United were trying to extend his loan until January, Goal reported.
So far there is no official word on the status of the striker. It’s possible an announcement on an extension may come today or later this week.
Ighalo is staying positive, and may have dropped a hint himself.
He sent a message on Instagram this morning wishing his followers a happy new month, showing his trademark grin – and importantly – wearing a Manchester United top.
Ighalo has become a fan favourite since his surprise deadline day arrival in January.
The global health crisis which halted the season brought his fairytale Old Trafford loan spell to an abrupt halt, after he had scored four goals for the club.
United’s season resumes later in June and it would be good to have Ighalo available, even though Marcus Rashford is back from injury.
Shanghai Shenhua and United are unlikely to come to terms on a permanent move, but it is still possible a new loan deal gets done, despite the previous one expiring.
Update: Mike McGrath of The Telegraph reports a deal in principle has been agreed, pending FA confirmation.
- Manchester United have made a smart decision over Smalling and Sanchez
- David de Gea’s big save deserves more attention
- Take the ‘only £50m for Sancho’ report as a negotiating tactic
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka claims another assist, now more than several big names
- Solskjaer now knows his best Manchester United team, and he’s able to use it