Nicky Butt quit Manchester United after nine years working with the academy last month, and it came as a shock.
After all, it was just February when Butt was on the sidelines at Old Trafford with first team coaching staff quarantining due to Covid concerns.
The Athletic reported Butt quit because he was frustrated with the way the director of football hiring process was handled, and communicated to him. He left seeking a new challenge and a fresh start.
Now after the news Ed Woodward is to stand down, Butt could not hide his delight.
Butt’s post was liked by both of the Neville brothers, his former Manchester United teammates.
It also illustrates the depth of ill-feeling from Butt towards Woodward.
For a club legend to feel like this, despite working under Woodward for so long, shows how disliked the outgoing chief executive is by the football men at the club behind the scenes.
It’s just one more reason to be glad Woodward is going, as if eight years of failure was not good enough reason to celebrate it already.
- Three changes to Manchester United’s back four looking likely for Villarreal clash
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to fans after penalty miss
- Manchester United’s three best players against Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- De Gea and Mata send supportive messages to Bruno Fernandes