Neville expects new United manager announcement in 'a week or so'
Manchester United have reportedly interviewed Ajax manager Erik ten Hag over the prospect of becoming their new boss.
The Telegraph say that United have spoken to the Dutchman but that other candidates will also be interviewed and considered.
Chief among them appear to be Mauricio Pochettino, Julen Lopetegui and Luis Enrique and nothing has been decided yet.
That report also claims that United want their new manager in place as soon after the final game of the campaign as possible.
That perhaps indicates that an announcement will not be forthcoming, but Gary Neville has predicted a different timescale.
Because the interview process has been so public and encompassing a number of candidates, the former United defender expects it to be concluded in around a week or so.
In truth, the international break does seem to be an ideal opportunity for United to crack on with their managerial plans for next season.
United’s next game is not until April 2, and Ralf Rangnick knows the score as interim manager, his preparations for that Leicester clash will not be impacted by interviews ongoing for the role of long-term manager.
The Times report that Rangnick is one of the figures at Old Trafford who admire ten Hag, of which there are many.
They also claim the other candidates on the club’s four-man shortlist are expected to be interviewed in the coming months, which may mean that Neville’s timeframe is out – but time will tell.
- Erik Ten Hag’s managerial record and style of play
- Erik Ten Hag’s five most expensive transfers
- Ajax’s last five managers before Ten Hag and where they are now
- Five Ajax players Ten Hag could sign for Manchester United
- Ten Hag’s comments when Van de Beek left Ajax for Old Trafford
- Six key issues for Manchester United’s next boss
- The three biggest wins of Ten Hag’s managerial career