Nemanja Matic says Scott McTominay can become a United legend
Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic is among Scott McTominay’s biggest fans.
He has been talking up his young teammate in an interview on the club’s official website.
Matic said: “His mentality is what Manchester United needs to have, so I think that with any coach, in any club he will fit very well.
“I’m happy for him and United that they have a player like that in the team.
“He just needs to continue how he’s been working until now and I’m sure he will be one of the Manchester United legends one day.”
McTominay recently bounced back from two months out injured and scored twice, with both goals from outside the box coming against Club Brugge and Manchester City, adding to a long range effort against Arsenal earlier in the campaign.
The young Scot’s new found penchant for scoring impressive goals will endear him to the fanbase even more.
Matic and McTominay have been competing for positions at United over the past year.
In the recent weeks before the lay-off, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appeared to finally be getting the balance right.
Matic was playing the best football of his United career since his £40 million move and earned a contract extension.
McTominay is a big part of United’s future, but this season has proved it is about having a squad of players, and not just a strong XI.
Whoever gets signed in the summer, McTominay has a big role to play, all he has to do is continue his recent progress.
Matic talks about his work ethic, and that is one of the reasons why we have full confidence McTominay will be just fine.
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag
- Manchester United should listen to Ten Hag's words and offer swap deal to get Antony: Opinion
- Manchester United star says he can't relax this summer due to Ten Hag arrival