Nemanja Matic says he is ready to make an impact when Manchester United need him.
The Serbian has been sparingly used this season, with his last Premier League start coming in Manchester United’s 4-1 win over Newcastle last month.
Matic, 33, did not play a single minute of United’s disappointing home results against Aston Villa and Everton, in which the side gaining just one point from a possible six.
The midfielder suggested he is hoping to play a big part over the coming weeks, and he is happy with how he has played.
Matic told United Review: “I think I’m playing well, every time I have the chance,”
“Physically, I feel great. Of course, you always want to play more and more but the manager is the man who decides. I am always ready to play. I am happy to play, to help my team, and, yeah, I feel good.
“I had a fantastic pre-season, a full pre-season from day one. I am happy and motivated for the rest of the season.”
Matic has just 198 minutes of Premier League this season so far.
Time for change in United’s midfield?
Fred and Scott McTominay have been Manchester United’s go-to option in midfield and there is real appetite among the fanbase for this to change.
Paul Pogba has been playing out on the left wing, and this is likely to stop now, with Marcus Rashford returning.
This means Pogba will play as part of a central two, and it plays into Matic’s hands.
Matic has enjoyed success playing alongside Pogba in the past for United, and while it is not a long term solution for the club, this could be the best midfield partnership available right now.
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports