Manchester United have reportedly signed Nemanja Matic to a contract extension to 2023.
Gianluca di Marzio was first to report Matic has signed the extension. United are yet to officially announce it.
Matic’s original contract signed when he joined the club in 2017 had been due to expire this summer, in 2020.
Back in March, United extended Matic’s contract by a further year, triggering a clause in his original deal.
This was only really a sticking plaster solution, and it has been in the player and club’s interests to get a longer term deal agreed.
Matic has proven himself a key player for United this past season, having entered it with question marks.
He was important in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s initial run as interim boss, but then faded as he struggled with injury at the end of the 2018/19 season.
Injury also meant a slow start to this past season, but from December onwards he has really kicked on, and United are a better side when he is in the team.
Currently he is thriving as part of a three-man midfield with Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba.
Matic has made 26 appearances in total this season, scoring one goal and providing two assists, one of which came against Bournemouth on Saturday.
Even though he turns 32 in August, United see him as a valuable player, and he has earned Solskjaer’s trust.
If United are serious about keeping this good run going into the next couple of seasons, this was an important deal to do.
While important to find an eventual replacement, it is right to reward Matic for his performances and give him some security and certainty.
He is too good and too important to risk losing for free in 2021. We now just await the official announcement.
- Partizan manager speaks on Stevanovic’s value amid United speculation
- Three reasons Manchester United should consider Said Benrahma move
- United would reportedly prefer to loan Dean Henderson abroad
- Why it is only a matter of time before Cristiano Ronaldo is offered to United
- Stevanovic indicates Manchester United move is happening
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Sevilla
- Who is reported Manchester United target Filip Stevanovic
- Have United made an expensive miscalculation over Sancho?
- Europa League glory would be pivotal for United