Nathan Bishop says Manchester United move came as surprise
Odion Ighalo was not the only player Manchester United signed on transfer deadline day.
A deal was also announced to sign 20-year-old goalkeeper Nathan Bishop from Southend United.
Bishop, an England youth international, has since told Echo News the move came about at the last minute as far as he was concerned.
He said: “I’m extremely excited and it’s an incredible opportunity for me.
“I first heard on the Monday that there was an idea it might happen. It was great to hear a club like Manchester United were interested and for everything to go through.”
Bishop added that he would be playing for the under-23s, and helping out in training with the first team when he is needed.
He was with the first team squad at Old Trafford on Saturday against Wolves, pictured warming up ahead of kick-off, and in training with Sergio Romero on Friday.
Wait for next season to see where he stands
United have a lot of goalkeepers, too many really considering David de Gea is a clear first choice.
Bishop, 20, has been signed for the future, and it will become clearer where he stands next season.
Questions remain over the future of Sergio Romero, Dean Henderson, Lee Grant, Joel Pereira, Kieran O’Hara, Matej Kovar and Paul Woolston.
At minimum three of these will leave, either permanently or on loan, Grant is 37 with his contract set to expire and is unlikely to see it renewed.
Bishop has between now and the end of the season to make a name for himself and impress the coaches. His performances for the under-23s may play a role in the decision making over the future of other players.
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged