Mateo Mejia has had to wait a long time to make his first Manchester United appearance.
And now sadly he may have to wait until 2020 for another one.
United signed Mejia from Real Zaragoza in the summer after the young striker scored 60 goals for the Spanish club’s youth teams last season.
Spanish outlet El Periodico de Aragon reported a month ago that an agreement had finally gone through.
Mejia made his debut for United’s under-18 side at the weekend against Brighton, and it could not have gone much worse.
The teenager suffered an injury in the first half and the game was delayed for several minutes before he was stretchered off.
United’s official club website reported that Mejia “suffered what appeared to serious injury to his right leg. All of United’s medical team, as well as ambulance paramedics, attended to him for almost 10 minutes.”
No update on Mejia has been released, but the situation was not good.
Even in a best case scenario, it is likely that Mejia is out until the new year.
A serious injury would be a cruel blow so early into his stint at Old Trafford as he looked to get off to a bright start.
He would not be the only one to experience poor fortune in similar circumstances.
Tahith Chong suffered an ACL injury in his first season at United which cost him a year on the sidelines.
Slovakian winger Martin Svidersky also tore his ACL weeks after signing for United last year and has only just made his comeback.
Svidersky was in the line up for the under-18s on Saturday when Mejia went down.
As we await updates on the youngster’s condition and recovery, we wish him all the best.
- Jadon Sancho pictured arriving at Old Trafford for Manchester United semi-final second leg
- How many transfer windows Phil Jones has now survived as a Manchester United player
- Rio Ferdinand responds to Paul Merson over Marcel Sabitzer criticism
- Can Marcel Sabitzer play in the Europa League? Eligibility and suspension explained
- Charlie Wellens set to leave Manchester United on free at end of the season