Two goalkeepers left Manchester United on loan over the weekend, with very different prospects.
Matej Kovar joined League One side Swindon Town, while Joel Pereira joins Championship club Huddersfield Town.
Kovar played 90 minutes in a friendly match at the weekend and has a chance to be the Robins’ number one.
He is being managed by former Red, Richie Wellens, which can’t hurt his chances either.
Kovar needs this loan, the first of his career. He needed a new test after threatening to outgrow under-23 football.
Last season he thrived in the EFL Trophy against senior sides, keeping two clean sheets in four matches. It showed he was ready for ‘men’s football’.
The 20-year-old has a bright future and this loan could help him in the same way spells out have helped Dean Henderson’s development.
Kovar could in a couple years end up backing up or competing with Henderrson for United’s number one spot.
Last chance saloon
The same high hopes of course were once held for Joel Pereira, a goalkeeper who’s promising career has lost steam.
Poor loan spells in Portugal, Belgium, and most recently at Hearts have made it very unlikely he ever plays for United again.
At Huddersfield he has arrived as a back-up, but a bad error from Ben Hamer against United’s under-23 side at the weekend puts their number one under pressure.
Despite warnings from Hearts fans on social media, some Huddersfield supporters are curious to see if Pereira can do better.
Pereira’s contract expires at the end of this season. The next 12 months are an audition for him to find a new club, permanently. There are just too many obstacles in his path at Old Trafford.
The Portuguese star is better than he has shown on his loan spells. He will hope to do himself justice over the next season, and even earn himself a permanent move to Huddersfield.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Tahith Chong
Werder Bremen (season)
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- James Garner
- Andreas Pereira
- Max Taylor
Kidderminster (until January)
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until end of season)
- Jake Carney
- Ethan Laird
MK Dons (Jan to end of season)
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to Sheffield United
- Manchester United pick attack heavy team to face Sheffield United
- Former United star Shinji Kagawa finds new club in Greece
- Solskjaer is ready to build his plans around Amad Diallo
- Who is reported Manchester United target Christoph Baumgartner?
- Odion Ighalo did exactly what he set out to do
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
- Looking back at Anthony Martial’s hat-trick against Sheffield United
- Marcos Rojo has three offers from clubs as he reportedly negotiates United pay-off