Two goalkeepers left Manchester United on loan over the weekend, with very different prospects.
Matej Kovar joined League One side Swindon Town, while Joel Pereira joins Championship club Huddersfield Town.
Kovar played 90 minutes in a friendly match at the weekend and has a chance to be the Robins’ number one.
He is being managed by former Red, Richie Wellens, which can’t hurt his chances either.
Kovar needs this loan, the first of his career. He needed a new test after threatening to outgrow under-23 football.
Last season he thrived in the EFL Trophy against senior sides, keeping two clean sheets in four matches. It showed he was ready for ‘men’s football’.
The 20-year-old has a bright future and this loan could help him in the same way spells out have helped Dean Henderson’s development.
Kovar could in a couple years end up backing up or competing with Henderrson for United’s number one spot.
Last chance saloon
The same high hopes of course were once held for Joel Pereira, a goalkeeper who’s promising career has lost steam.
Poor loan spells in Portugal, Belgium, and most recently at Hearts have made it very unlikely he ever plays for United again.
At Huddersfield he has arrived as a back-up, but a bad error from Ben Hamer against United’s under-23 side at the weekend puts their number one under pressure.
Despite warnings from Hearts fans on social media, some Huddersfield supporters are curious to see if Pereira can do better.
Pereira’s contract expires at the end of this season. The next 12 months are an audition for him to find a new club, permanently. There are just too many obstacles in his path at Old Trafford.
The Portuguese star is better than he has shown on his loan spells. He will hope to do himself justice over the next season, and even earn himself a permanent move to Huddersfield.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until end of season)
- Jake Carney
- Ethan Laird
MK Dons (Jan to end of season)
- Jesse Lingard
West Ham (Jan to end of season)
- James Garner
Nottingham Forest (Jan to end of season)
- Tahith Chong
Club Brugge (Jan to end of season)
- Facundo Pellistri
Alaves (Jan to end of season)
- Teden Mengi
Derby (Jan to end of season)
- Dylan Levitt
NK Istra (Feb to end of season)
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s record like against Chelsea?
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea