Marcus Rashford has been recorded as the fastest Manchester United player in the 2020/21 season.
The club’s official website relayed data showing Rashford clocking up four of the top five speeds recorded by players during games.
Rashford’s fastest pace came during the 0-0 draw away at Chelsea earlier this year.
He ran a speed of 22.5 miles per hour (36.26 kilometres per hour) – quicker than any player this season.
Rashford followed this up with top speeds against Leeds, both home and away, and also in the home game with Chelsea.
It is perhaps notable three of these matches ended 0-0, with Rashford working extra hard to try and make a difference in these tight games. The exception was the 6-2 home win over Leeds.
How does this compare?
The other United player in the top five speeds recorded was Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood ran 21.7 mph, just below Rashford’s four top times. This was in the home loss to Arsenal.
However, three players at United actually ran quicker than Rashford’s top speed of 22.5mph this past season, in 2019/20. These were Mason Greenwood, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Fred.
Manchester United’s top three fastest players in 2019/20
- Mason Greenwood
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka
United’s website reports Wan-Bissaka clocked the top speed in a game five times this past season. Pace is a very underrated part of his game.
Anthony Elanga also recorded a top speed in one of his appearances, as did Timothy Fosu-Mensah in his only appearance.
Eric Bailly, Luke Shaw, and Brandon Williams also clocked top times.
Rashford’s top speeds came despite an injury to his ankle. One of his top paces set away at Leeds came after missing training in the week leading up to it.
He is now away with England for Euro 2020, when he really should be resting up after playing more than 70 games for club and country in the past 12 months.
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing
- Manchester United swapping Pogba for Ronaldo would not solve the main problem
- Manchester United’s Hannibal Mejbri can return from international duty a different player
- Scotland fans go crazy for Scott McTominay after performance against England