Manchester United U19s deservedly beaten by ruthless Villarreal
Before the senior sides went head to head, Manchester United and Villarreal faced off in the UEFA Youth League yesterday.
It was a chastening afternoon for Neil Wood’s side, as they went down 4-1 at Leigh Sports Village.
United were 4-0 down by half-time, thanks to goals from Joan Torrents, Pascual Medina, Marlone Foubert and Rodrigo Alonso.
After the game, 17-year-old talent Alejandro Garnacho took to Instagram to send a defiant message.
After a painful opening 45 minutes, United did at least ‘win’ the second half due to Alvaro Fernandez.
He bulleted in a header from Marc Jurado’s set piece to reduce the scoreline and he also posted online after the match.
Shola Shoretire captained Wood’s side but it was a tough afternoon for the talented forward.
He scored the winner last time out against Young Boys.
That means, like the seniors, United’s Under 19s have a win and a defeat from their first two matches.
Next up in the UEFA Youth League are Atalanta and United will be looking for a response.
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career