Before the senior sides went head to head, Manchester United and Villarreal faced off in the UEFA Youth League yesterday.
It was a chastening afternoon for Neil Wood’s side, as they went down 4-1 at Leigh Sports Village.
United were 4-0 down by half-time, thanks to goals from Joan Torrents, Pascual Medina, Marlone Foubert and Rodrigo Alonso.
After the game, 17-year-old talent Alejandro Garnacho took to Instagram to send a defiant message.
After a painful opening 45 minutes, United did at least ‘win’ the second half due to Alvaro Fernandez.
He bulleted in a header from Marc Jurado’s set piece to reduce the scoreline and he also posted online after the match.
Shola Shoretire captained Wood’s side but it was a tough afternoon for the talented forward.
He scored the winner last time out against Young Boys.
That means, like the seniors, United’s Under 19s have a win and a defeat from their first two matches.
Next up in the UEFA Youth League are Atalanta and United will be looking for a response.
- Uruguay manager and South American press react to Facundo Pellistri's debut performance
- Manchester United warned 'extraordinary offer' required to sign midfielder
- Karim Benzema sends message to Manchester United star
- Report: Young Manchester United forward set for medical ahead of imminent loan move
- Manager delighted to sign 'wonderful' Manchester United defensive talent on loan