Manchester United U19s deservedly beaten by ruthless Villarreal
Before the senior sides went head to head, Manchester United and Villarreal faced off in the UEFA Youth League yesterday.
It was a chastening afternoon for Neil Wood’s side, as they went down 4-1 at Leigh Sports Village.
United were 4-0 down by half-time, thanks to goals from Joan Torrents, Pascual Medina, Marlone Foubert and Rodrigo Alonso.
After the game, 17-year-old talent Alejandro Garnacho took to Instagram to send a defiant message.
After a painful opening 45 minutes, United did at least ‘win’ the second half due to Alvaro Fernandez.
He bulleted in a header from Marc Jurado’s set piece to reduce the scoreline and he also posted online after the match.
Shola Shoretire captained Wood’s side but it was a tough afternoon for the talented forward.
He scored the winner last time out against Young Boys.
That means, like the seniors, United’s Under 19s have a win and a defeat from their first two matches.
Next up in the UEFA Youth League are Atalanta and United will be looking for a response.
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses
- Marcus Rashford sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat, it's a new approach
- Incoming signing's relationship with star duo could help strengthen Manchester United spine
- Club begin talks to sign replacement for £20m Manchester United strike target