Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes orchestrated another impressive Manchester United performance.
But don’t forget about the man playing behind them, who makes it all possible, Nemanja Matic.
Matic ensured he didn’t go under the radar, with a key role in United’s third goal against Brighton.
The Serbian swept United forward with a dazzling counter attack, controlling a high ball with his chest in his own half, before volleying on the turn over his head into the path of Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood then delivered a precision cross for Fernandes to volley low into the net, smashing the ball past Mat Ryan. It was a goal which had Gary Neville on commentary likening it to the Champions League goal at Arsenal in 2008.
Neville also had kind words for Matic, praising his recent resurgence saying he has been ‘resurrected’ in United’s midfield, with the various talents alongside him.
Players like Pogba and Fernandes make life easy for Matic, as do United’s pressing front three, but the Serbian returns the favour, mopping up in midfield and shielding the back four.
This, combined with the games in the run-up to the lockdown, is one of Matic’s best stretches of form since he joined the club in 2017.
Matic had 99 touches, and completed 93 per cent of his passes. None more special than the volley forward to Greenwood.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Matic’s performance…
- Varane transfer blow could have second complication for Manchester United
- James Garner is working hard in gym to be ready for Manchester United next season
- Joel Glazer explains why no plans to bring ‘Football Club’ back to Manchester United badge
- Ferdinand comments on United’s summer business as he responds to fans on social media
- Manchester United could be making a mistake with reported Juan Mata plans
- McTominay talks about coming through the ranks at United
- Marcel Sabitzer shows why he could be an astute signing for Manchester United
- Manchester United fans loved seeing Ruud van Nistelrooy on Netherlands’ coaching staff
- Fred helps Brazil to opening Copa America victory