Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes orchestrated another impressive Manchester United performance.
But don’t forget about the man playing behind them, who makes it all possible, Nemanja Matic.
Matic ensured he didn’t go under the radar, with a key role in United’s third goal against Brighton.
The Serbian swept United forward with a dazzling counter attack, controlling a high ball with his chest in his own half, before volleying on the turn over his head into the path of Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood then delivered a precision cross for Fernandes to volley low into the net, smashing the ball past Mat Ryan. It was a goal which had Gary Neville on commentary likening it to the Champions League goal at Arsenal in 2008.
Neville also had kind words for Matic, praising his recent resurgence saying he has been ‘resurrected’ in United’s midfield, with the various talents alongside him.
Players like Pogba and Fernandes make life easy for Matic, as do United’s pressing front three, but the Serbian returns the favour, mopping up in midfield and shielding the back four.
This, combined with the games in the run-up to the lockdown, is one of Matic’s best stretches of form since he joined the club in 2017.
Matic had 99 touches, and completed 93 per cent of his passes. None more special than the volley forward to Greenwood.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Matic’s performance…
- Solskjaer is getting more out of Matic at Manchester United than Mourinho managed
- Josh King will be desperate to impress against Manchester United after January bid
- Extending Paul Pogba’s contract would be as big as any United transfer
- Mason Greenwood’s versatility means he could fill in for three players in dream Manchester United scenario
- It appears Manchester United are giving up on Jesse Lingard
- Three takeaways from United missing out on Jude Bellingham
- Why United’s Gomes response should be to target top quality young attacker
- Manchester United’s run-in is not as easy as it looks
- Solskjaer says Ethan Laird will join United’s first team squad