Manchester United fans react to Victor Lindelof's performance v Chelsea
Manchester United’s defence was without the injured Raphael Varane and suspended Harry Maguire against Chelsea.
United lined up with Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly at centre-back, with both players given a chance to stake their claims for regular selection.
Lindelof had been impressive in United’s win over Villarreal in midweek and he continued that alongside Bailly against Chelsea.
Chelsea were only able to breach the defence when Aaron Wan-Bissaka gave away a second half penalty.
Lindelof showed quality
Lindelof led United with nine clearances to help repel Chelsea’s forays forward. Bailly followed as the next highest with six.
The Swede made one interceptions and blocked two shots, and did not give away any fouls.
When Chelsea threw on Romelu Lukaku for the final 10 minutes, there were fears that the striker’s physical approach could get the better of his former United teammate. These worries proved unfounded on this occasion.
Harry Maguire will be back for United’s game against Arsenal on Thursday night. But his selection should not be automatic.
Lindelof and Bailly both played well, and the Swede is most likely to retain his place against the Gunners.
The former Benfica defender’s return to form has come at an ideal time, when United needed a boost, and it is long overdue. He just needs to keep on playing like this, and if he does, he may be able to displace Maguire as Raphael Varane’s preferred partner.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Lindelof’s performance…
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure