Manchester United fans react to Raphael Varane's performance against Aston Villa
Manchester United centre-back Raphael Varane rose to the challenge Aston Villa posed in the FA Cup third-round clash at Old Trafford.
In a classic FA Cup tie which was given that extra edge with Steven Gerrard being back at the Theatre of Dreams for the first time as a manager, United had to dig in and at times ride their luck to progress to the next round.
It was far from a convincing performance by the Reds, but the most important thing was getting through to the fourth-round.
Playing against Danny Ings and Ollie Watkins, United needed World Cup winner Varane to lead from the back.
And the Frenchman certainly did that as he produced one of his best performances in a Manchester United shirt.
Prior to tonight’s clash, the former Real Madrid man had looked nervy and at times vulnerable since returning to the side against Newcastle.
But he looked assured against the Villains and it looks like his confidence could be returning which will be a big boost to Ralf Rangnick.
It was Varane’s centre-back partner Victor Lindelof who hadn’t played for a month who at times made some big errors.
But Varane looked comfortable for the majority of the match and his class oozed through. He was the calming influence and leader that Manchester United thought they were signing in the summer.
If United’s number 19 stays fit for the remainder of the campaign then our performances and results should only improve.
Varane’s performance saw him come in for high praise from some Manchester United fans on Twitter. Here is a round-up of the comments on social media…
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker