Mason Greenwood was selected to start on Manchester United’s right wing against Sheffield United.
We had speculated whether it might be the guile of Juan Mata, after Dan James’ blunt showing against Tottenham.
Instead Greenwood’s lively cameo performance on Friday earned him a start, and he managed to impress.
While the 18-year-old did not get on the scoresheet, he was a constant threat, and was willing to shoot on sight, taking five attempts at goal.
When a player as talented as Greenwood gets on the ball in the penalty area, defenders have to double up to try and close down space. He’s such a threat.
He did not look at all out of place in United’s starting side, along with top stars Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial. Instead he seemed to be a perfect fit.
United feel more naturally threatening with Greenwood on the right rather than James.
Importantly, he linked up well with Aaron Wan-Bissaka too, providing the right-back opportunities to press forward, and this ended up setting up United’s second goal.
Greenwood actually won two tackles, the highest of any player, as he tried to press from the front and unsettle the Blades. He also made one interception.
While it is his attacking qualities we look for, this was a sign of his willingness to get involved in all facets of the game, and it will help him earn more starting opportunities.
With Anthony Martial seemingly locking down the striker’s spot with his hat-trick, Greenwood has an opportunity to become United’s first choice on the right for now.
This performance was a step in the right direction, and fans understandably continue to believe we have a special player on our hands.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Greenwood’s performance…
- Raphael Varane will fly to Manchester to seal United move on Monday
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United