Manchester United fans react to Marcos Rojo's loan exit
Marcos Rojo has left Manchester United on loan to join Estudiantes in his native Argentina until the end of the season.
The defender came through the youth ranks at the club and makes his return nine years after he departed to join Spartak Moscow.
There seems to be genuine excitement at Rojo’s new employers that he is back, judging from the message they posted on their official Twitter account when confirming his return.
It translated as: “You always return to the places where you were happy. Because the sense of belonging is stronger. Your dream and that of the Pincha Family comes true.
“We are reunited. Welcome and thanks for coming back, Marcos! We welcome you with the heart!”
Rojo joined United under Louis van Gaal in 2014 when the Dutchman wanted a left-footed central defender to play in his back three.
That formation was soon scrapped and Rojo seldom got the opportunity to show what he could do on a regular basis because fitness issues plagued him.
One thing that could never be doubted was his commitment to the shirt; he gave his all every time he stepped on the pitch.
That could sometimes spill over into recklessness, which explains why he failed to establish himself under Jose Mourinho or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer either.
According to the Daily Mail, Rojo was nearly loaned to Everton on deadline day during the summer transfer window, but United angered him by changing the parameters of any potential deal and scuppering it.
He has eventually made his exit – with Eric Bailly now returning to bolster United’s defensive ranks – and there were no shortage of fans on Twitter keen to show their appreciation for his commitment.
United have had their fair share of players who didn’t put in 100 per cent regularly in the post-Ferguson era but Rojo could never be accused of that.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out