Harry Maguire scored an impressive winning goal as England beat Poland 2-1 at Wembley.
Maguire lashed in a knockdown from John Stones after a corner, sending the ball into the roof of the net.
It was a far harder chance than the one he missed from one yard out against AC Milan for Manchester United a fortnight ago.
Maguire looked thrilled to get on the scoresheet, netting his third international goal.
This was Maguire’s 50th game this season for club and country this season. His durability is off the charts.
His evening against Poland was a little easier than anticipated, because Robert Lewandowski was out with an injury.
Teammate John Stones made it a bit harder though, after making a big error which allowed Poland to equalise Harry Kane’s penalty opener.
Maguire stuck up for his teammate in his post-match interview, telling ITV: “John (Stones) has been brilliant this year. Defenders make mistakes and get scrutinised. He made up for it with a great header at the back post. I told him to keep going. We don’t like making mistakes but we are not perfect. He will come back strong.”
It was a captain’s interview and a captain’s performance, with Maguire strong throughout, and taking the armband after Harry Kane was substituted.
He touched the ball 97 times, winning two tackles, two interceptions, and making two clearances.
This was the perfect way for Maguire to end the international break, having played in two wins and keeping two clean sheets.
He now heads back to United for the weekend, where he will be in line to make his 100th club appearance.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Maguire’s matchwinning performance…
- Manchester United suffer predictable injury blow as Anthony Martial injury news breaks
- Marcus Rashford names ‘amazing’ Man United stars he chose as POTY
- “Spend it now”: Manchester United legend would splash £100m on ‘generational goal-getter’
- Edwin van der Sar steps down as CEO of Ajax: Paul Scholes wants him at Manchester United
- Top 10 Marcus Rashford Goals at Manchester United, Ranked
- Rio Ferdinand identifies one Manchester City player United must stop and how to do so
- Bruno Fernandes says Manchester United target can become world-class
- Newcastle believe Manchester United most likely to sign £43m star
- The three Manchester United kits for the 2023/24 season have been leaked