Fred has been outstanding over the past couple of weeks. An often derided player, the Brazilian was Manchester United’s matchwinner against Crystal Palace.
He chose a great time to score his second goal of the season and his first since August. He curled in a winner in the 81st minute to help United to a victory over a resolute Eagles side
Fred made seven tackles, the joint highest on the pitch, made one interception and two clearances, to go along with his goal.
He picked his spot from 25 yards out after being set up by Mason Greenwood, curling the ball over the goalkeeper into the top corner with a strike Bruno Fernandes would have been proud of.
Strong run of form
It is worth remembering Fred did not feature in United’s defeat to Watford. He was recalled for the Villarreal game days later by Michael Carrick, and played a key role in both goals as he won the ball back in the build up for both of them.
He came close to netting a winner over Chelsea last weekend, before providing an assist in the win over Arsenal and winning the decisive penalty for Ronaldo’s winner.
His winning goal against Palace was beautifully timed, with United struggling to make the breakthrough beforehand. The goal was a tough one to execute, and he did it perfectly.
Fred now has two goals this season so far. This is more than Harry Kane (1) has managed in 13 appearances in the Premier League, and just one less than Romelu Lukaku. He needs one more goal for a personal best since he joined United in 2018.
Here is a look at how Manchester United fans reacted to Fred’s match winning performance…
- Ex Manchester United youngster Josh Harrop looks to relaunch his career at new club
- 10 goal contributions in 5 under-23 games: United have made great decision over wonderkid
- 'Don't get involved'… New Manchester United CEO warned not to interfere
- Mason Greenwood reacts as United teammate Amad seals loan move to Rangers
- Facundo Pellistri plays 70 minutes on international debut in Uruguay win
- Big transfer moves in Europe impact Manchester United, including target's £62.4m switch
- Bryan Robson believes Anthony Elanga emergence will “spur” Manchester United star on
- Harry Maguire talks up 'amazing' Manchester United teammate
- 'Big champion': Manager praises 'disillusioned' Manchester United ace following agonising loss