Scott McTominay stole the show in Manchester United’s midfield in a 6-2 win over Leeds.
He scored two goals inside the opening three minutes as United ran riot.
His performance in midfield was one side of a successful partnership, with Fred playing well alongside him.
Fred was fresh after resting on Thursday night and it showed. His energy in the centre of the pitch was key to helping United match a spirited yet flawed Leeds side.
As often happens, Fred’s passing was a little erratic. He completed only 73 per cent of his passes attempted.
He created one chance and had one shot on target as United dominated.
This match was less about Fred’s individual brilliance than the sum of the parts his partnership with McTominay provides.
Fred was effective in a deeper role allowing McTominay to roam forward with great impact.
The duo are a partnership who Ole Gunnar Solskjaer trusts for this type of game. This was a derby which was expected to be competitive, and United came out of the blocks fast.
There were many questions about Paul Pogba and Donny van de Beek sitting this game out before kick-off, although it was not surprising to see Fred and McTominay in – they needed big performances to justify their selections. So it was great to see them both step up.
Fred’s role in the team is being recognised by fans as crucial, even if he rarely gets the media attention he deserves.
Here is a look at how supporters reacted to his performance…
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy