Edinson Cavani came off the substitutes bench against Chelsea and nearly made an instant impact.
He had a toe-poked shot flash just wide of the near post with his very first touch.
Cavani came close to scoring late on when his shot was blocked by former PSG teammate Thiago Silva, who anticipated his movement.
Cavani had just seven touches in total during 35 minutes on the pitch, of which two were shots.
Chelsea lined up with three at the back and made it difficult for United to find space and create clear cut chances.
Cavani helped provide more of a threat, drifting out wide right on one occasion to put in a cross which Paul Pogba couldn’t quite connect with.
United felt more threatening with Cavani on the pitch, and this was an encouraging debut.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be tempted to put him in as a starter in upcoming matches against RB Leipzig and or Arsenal.
United now have plenty of forward options, with Martial serving a domestic suspension, Greenwood coming off the bench, and forgotten man Ighalo not even in the matchday squad.
Cavani’s aerial presence helped United at the other end as he made one clearance from a late corner.
United did not have Alex Telles available to try and connect with Cavani from a corner of our own.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Cavani’s performance…
- Odion Ighalo extension may look odd, but at the time it made sense
- Pellistri was given glimpse of possible United debut and he must use it as motivation
- Bruno Fernandes nominated for Champions League player of the week
- Manchester United sign Morecambe youngster Jack Kingdon
- Alejandro Garnacho stars in Manchester United under-17 win
- Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford made position changes look easy
- Dylan Levitt’s loan spell is not going too well
- Bruno Fernandes’ value is soaring after another tremendous display
- Marcus Rashford sets Manchester United club record