Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's substitute appearance
Anthony Martial made his first appearance under Ralf Rangnick – Will he get another?
The Frenchman may have earned himself the right to stay put, amid a month of speculation which has seen him linked with a move away.
He was thrown on with an attacking throw of the dice by Ralf Rangnick as United tried to break down a resolute West Ham, with the game goalless.
Martial immediately looked comfortable drifting deep to receive the ball and running at the West Ham defence.
He had come on as part of a double substitution with Edinson Cavani as United pushed to get all three points against a top four rival.
It all came together in the 93rd minute as Martial picked up a ball from Ronaldo, passed it off to Edinson Cavani, who crossed for fellow substitute Marcus Rashford to score.
United looked more fluid with Martial in the team
Martial moved the ball well and got into dangerous positions, and West Ham struggled to pick him up. David Moyes’ side had defended well, but let United have a lot of the ball.
It’s pretty unclear whether Martial will still be a United player when the transfer window ends. He may have put himself in the shop window with his display.
The Frenchman wants to play regularly, and he will have to weigh up whether he will get enough chances under Rangnick between now and the end of the season.
Rangnick showed some trust in him by bringing him on, and Martial looked sharp in his brief cameo. He and Rangnick both have something extra to think about now, and need to have a conversation about what happens next.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Martial’s impact…
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker