Only in a winter break. Manchester United have been linked with a move for Lionel Messi.
United were named due to the size of the club, rather than having any active interest.
Lionel Messi is in the centre of a row in Barcelona with sporting director Eric Abidal.
And amazingly, Messi has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave the club on a free transfer this summer, if he simply asks, the Evening Standard report.
Even if that proves accurate and Messi was to walk away from the Nou Camp, United would not be top of the list of destinations.
As incredible as it would be, United’s status has fallen, and we are currently facing the prospect of going a third consecutive year without Champions League football if we finish outside the top four this season again.
And all of this is without even considering chief executive Ed Woodward is famed for his transfer mishaps. There’s no way he could close this deal.
Six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi is now 32, and it is incredible unlikely he would leave Barcelona for anybody.
This season already he has 19 goals and 11 assists, and they are quite modest numbers by his standards.
Nobody was buying these reports for a moment, with United supporters mocking the story on social media.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to the laughable rumour…
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win