One of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s biggest selection decisions for tonight’s game is who starts on Manchester United’s right wing.
Assuming the manager goes with a 4-2-3-1 formation, which is far from guaranteed given our switches to a 3-4-1-2 this season, the right wing spot is up for grabs.
Dan James got the nod in United’s first game of the restart, and he disappointed, failing to create any chances or have any attempts on goal.
Juan Mata has a strong case, which we outlined here, after a series of strong displays in the position before the break.
The more aggressive play from Solskjaer is to start 18-year-old Mason Greenwood, who he called upon off the bench against Tottenham.
Greenwood looked sharp against Spurs, nearly scored an injury time winner, and even netted in the previous match against Sheffield United back in November. This is one of the 13 goals he has netted already this season.
There has been a lot of buzz around Carrington about how Greenwood looks like an improved and stronger player upon the return, and coach Quinton Fortune has been talking up his work ethic as well as his natural talent which enables him to shoot equally strongly with both feet (via the club website).
Now may be the ideal time to throw Greenwood in from the start, which Solskjaer has been reluctant to do at times this season in the Premier League.
Sheffield United are missing key defenders through injury, while Dean Henderson is unavailable in goal, and United could go for the kill early and look to overwhelm the Blades with our attacking power. This means playing our most dangerous goalscorers, of who Greenwood is one.
Solskjaer has to look ahead to the FA Cup tie at Norwich this weekend too, and may have earmarked Greenwood for a start in that one, against an even weaker backline.
But such is the buzz around Greenwood right now, that despite Mata’s qualities, there will be several supporters disappointed if the goalscoring teenager is not on the starting teamsheet at Old Trafford tonight.
Here is a look at some of the comments on Twitter calling for Greenwood to be selected…
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training