Manchester United could have a Spanish revolution with Alvaro and Jurado reportedly joining Puigmal and Mejia?
Manchester United have made some wonderful senior signings since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge. In fact, all his additions have been huge successes.
But it is not only the first-team where United are strengthening.
The club’s next generation continues to excite, with Spanish midfielder Arnau Puigmal among the most highly rated. And reported incomings could point to a Spanish revolution at Old Trafford a few years from now.
According to AS, United have reached an agreement to sign left-back Alvaro Fernandez Carreras. That is hot on the heels of the MEN claiming right-back Marc Jurado is heading to Old Trafford this summer.
At 16 and 17 respectively, Jurado and Alvaro have some way to go before they are knocking on Solskjaer’s door. However, the fact that they will be arriving from Barcelona and Real Madrid is reason enough to be excited.
One famous academy could be about to benefit from the hard work of two more. After all, only the best get a sniff of a chance with Spain’s giants.
The same can be said of United, and it will be interesting to see how the two full-backs perform if, as reported, they arrive this summer.
Exciting Spanish quartet
At 19, Puigmal is further along in his footballing education. But the midfielder could well be the youngster tasked with helping his countrymen settle.
Puigmal is a class act who can operate in a whole host of positions. Predominantly a central midfielder, the teenager can also play anywhere on the right side.
Big things are expected of him at Old Trafford and he is already a regular for United’s second string.
Chomping at the bit for a chance of his own is Mateo Mejia. The 17-year-old striker signed for United last summer and he could soon be one of four Spaniards to keep a close eye on.
Mejia was unluckily injured on his U18 debut. But he proved his worth with a four-goal haul in a run-out for the U16s a month before football’s lock-down.
With 60 goals for Real Zaragoza’s youth teams in the 2018/19 season, Mejia is a very exciting prospect. With a record like that, it is no surprise United made their move.
Senior stars to look up to
United are no strangers to signing Spanish players in recent years. Ander Herrera may have gone but Juan Mata and David de Gea remain.
The latter pair could well be the experienced familiar voices that help United’s reported summer recruits as they navigate the club. After all, few players have been as successful as United’s Spanish stars.
Mata’s influence may be waning on the field but his impact off it should not be forgotten.
We can only hope United complete their mooted moves for Alvaro and Jurado and all four Spaniards fulfil their potential.
- Photo: Marcus Rashford celebrates getting engaged
- Young duo who quit Manchester United 1 win away from clinching La Liga promotion
- Manchester United considering offer for £51m star who is heir to international champion
- Juan Mata pays tribute to Kath Phipps the Manchester United receptionist
- Manchester United eyeing 6ft 5 international with £17m release clause
- Manchester United star wants to stay, and now must prove he deserves to
- 4 Players who have played for Manchester United and Villarreal amid Pau Torres links
- 'Almost unique' midfielder perfect for Ten Hag, club fighting to keep him amid Manchester United links
- 25-year-old transfer target ready to leave for 'first rate project', including Manchester United