Maguire's 'explosive pace' lauded by former Manchester United ace
Former United star Jonny Evans has lauded Harry Maguire and backed him to be an Old Trafford success.
Maguire enjoyed a perfect debut as United beat Chelsea 4-0 on Sunday.
Evans played alongside Maguire for Leicester City and he believes his ex-teammate will thrive at the Theatre of Dreams.
He talked up Maguire, saying he has pace to his game which goes unnoticed.
Evans told the Belfast Telegraph: “You can see comparisons in their games (Maguire and Van Dijk), both are great on the ball, and Harry has got explosive pace people don’t see. He is powerful, good in the air.
“He is tailor-made for Man United, it was a great move for him. He’s a player they needed.
“He’s got a really likeable nature about him. He will be a real hit there, he is a fantastic player.”
Evans played 198 games for United between 2007 and 2015 and knows all about the pressure which comes with playing for the club.
Speed so important
Pace is a theme to all three of United’s summer signings.
Dan James is rapid, and looks like he is being fast-forwarded whenever he is sprinting, compared to other players.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is lightening quick in terms of his reaction times, as shown with the speed he chased down and tackled Ross Barkley on Sunday when he initially got into a dangerous position.
Maguire could not compete with James during a 100 metre sprint, but his type of speed in a short burst, closing down space, is important to his defensive style.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants a tenacious, counter attacking team who are solid in defence. After one game, it’s looking good.
- 'Here we go'… Manchester United player agrees £13 million exit, says Fabrizio Romano
- Video: Erik ten Hag has one-to-one chat with 21-year-old Manchester United ace in training
- Ten Hag now has Manchester United front three Solskjaer wanted and never picked
- 'Special' player is a perfect fit for Manchester United, says ex-Red Devils star
- Manchester United players welcome new signing Tyrell Malacia to club