Former United star Jonny Evans has lauded Harry Maguire and backed him to be an Old Trafford success.
Maguire enjoyed a perfect debut as United beat Chelsea 4-0 on Sunday.
Evans played alongside Maguire for Leicester City and he believes his ex-teammate will thrive at the Theatre of Dreams.
He talked up Maguire, saying he has pace to his game which goes unnoticed.
Evans told the Belfast Telegraph: “You can see comparisons in their games (Maguire and Van Dijk), both are great on the ball, and Harry has got explosive pace people don’t see. He is powerful, good in the air.
“He is tailor-made for Man United, it was a great move for him. He’s a player they needed.
“He’s got a really likeable nature about him. He will be a real hit there, he is a fantastic player.”
Evans played 198 games for United between 2007 and 2015 and knows all about the pressure which comes with playing for the club.
Speed so important
Pace is a theme to all three of United’s summer signings.
Dan James is rapid, and looks like he is being fast-forwarded whenever he is sprinting, compared to other players.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is lightening quick in terms of his reaction times, as shown with the speed he chased down and tackled Ross Barkley on Sunday when he initially got into a dangerous position.
Maguire could not compete with James during a 100 metre sprint, but his type of speed in a short burst, closing down space, is important to his defensive style.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants a tenacious, counter attacking team who are solid in defence. After one game, it’s looking good.
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing