Luke Shaw must begin season well amid Sergio Reguilon speculation
Luke Shaw is one of the players Ole Gunnar Solskjaer rates particularly highly.
Solskjaer started Shaw in 14 consecutive games amid a winning run before he suffered an unfortunate ankle injury in July.
In total Shaw started only 20 of 38 Premier League games, having missed a large chunk of action early in the season too.
Brandon Williams filled in during Shaw’s absence, but there is a nagging feeling that United may need more from the left-back position.
In his 20 league starts plus four substitute appearances, Shaw did not contribute a single goal or assist.
This is one of the reasons why United have been linked with Spanish full-back Sergio Reguilon.
Reguilon’s threat seen first hand
Reguilon spent the 2019/20 season on loan at Sevilla from Real Madrid.
He is available this summer with Real needing to raise funds, and they invested big money in Ferland Mendy from Lyon a year ago to play at the position.
Marca reported interest from United in Reguilon at the end of August, and Real want around 25 million Euros (£22 million) for his signature.
United saw how good Reguilon was first hand in the Europa League semi-final, when he defended tenaciously, and got forward to provide the cross for Sevilla’s opening goal in their 2-1 win.
Shaw will begin with benefit of the doubt
At present we do not estimate this is a move that United are rushing out to make imminently.
But with the season kicking off before the transfer window closes, Reguilon remains an option for the Red Devils, and it depends on Luke Shaw.
Shaw must prove his fitness over the opening couple of games at the end of September, and cannot suffer any setbacks.
If he plays poorly, that could have an effect too, but it is concerns over his fitness which are more likely to rush United into the market for Reguilon.
Shaw has had time to rest up, and should be ready to hit the ground running.
Solskjaer likes him. But if there is any slip up, the manager may be forced to look at alternatives.
- Released Manchester United academy star joins League One side
- Chelsea considering move to sign Manchester United's talisman who is willing to slash wages to get move
- Photos: Manchester United's international stars return to Carrington for pre-season training
- 30-year-old playmaker 'verbally agrees' to join Manchester United on three-year deal
- Manchester United believe they will sign seven-time international after positive talks with director
- Cristiano Ronaldo not expected back at Manchester United training today
- Manchester United could sign attacker with 'fantastic speed' for £10m, release clause is £54m
- £26m bonus could now open up to Manchester United to pay new signings
- Manchester United could sign 'electrifying' attacker for around £50m, says expert