Juventus’ interest in Paul Pogba has led to speculation about players being offered to Manchester United in part-exchange.
The latest name touted was Italian winger Federico Bernadeschi, ESPN report.
In theory this could suit United. Bernadeschi, 26, is a winger approaching his peak.
United need a winger capable of contributing now, to ease pressure on young talents like Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo.
But the problem with Bernardeschi is that he has shown little over the past three seasons that he could be of much value to United.
There’s a reason Juventus are willing to sell
Juventus signed Bernardeschi for £35 million in 2017 from Fiorentina, after an 11 goal campaign.
He has failed to match this tally across his time at Juventus combined.
Bernardeschi scored five goals in his first season, and then a further five across the past two and a half campaigns.
This season he has no goals and one assist, which came at the weekend in a win over Parma.
Bernardeschi is a good crosser of the ball and could do a good job for a mid-table side, but United should aspire for better.
United need confident game changers
United need players who are in form and can handle the pressure of a big club.
Bernardeschi’s stint at Juventus has shown he lacks the wow-factor required to excel at a title-chasing side and be anything more than a squad player.
Juventus’ swaps should not interest United, unless it is Cristiano Ronaldo on offer, or defensive midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur.
The club are better off casting their own net in the search of potential winger signings, rather than accepting one who needs to have his confidence rebuilt.
- It should come as no surprise Lazio aren’t keen on £23.3m Pereira option
- Marcos Rojo is still out injured after leaving United
- Solskjaer explains why he didn’t bring Amad Diallo on against Palace
- Gary Neville criticises Marcus Rashford’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Dean Henderson’s performance
- Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly send messages to Manchester United fans
- United fans puzzled by Cavani for James substitution
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace
- Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace