Manchester United’s handling of Jesse Lingard’s situation has been confusing.
It took United a long time to agree to loan out Lingard last January but when he did eventually join West Ham, he was on fire.
That form took him within touching distance of England’s Euro 2020 squad but after missing out, he did not leave Old Trafford in the summer.
Lingard is yet to start a Premier League game this term, despite impressing in his substitute cameos, most notably scoring a late winner against the Hammers on their own patch in September.
During the international break, the Sun reported that United are now ready to accept just £10 million for Lingard.
His contract is expiring in the summer and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has previously confirmed that a new deal is on the table.
There is no sign of him signing it yet, and West Ham have been linked with a January swoop.
When Instagram account West Ham Latest posted about these rumours, Lingard’s brother Louie Scott responded.
He suggested that he had seen West Ham fans saying he is not needed and would not start.
Lingard was loved in east London last season but his brother seems to think that some fans are not convinced about a return.
That only adds to the confusion over Lingard’s future, because if he does leave United, West Ham looked like the obvious candidates to sign him.
Whether the perception of how the fans feel will impact his decision remains to be seen with the winter looming and Lingard now outside the England squad again owing to his lack of gametime.
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview
- 'Need time on the grass': Manager provides update on Manchester United loanee
- Report: Manchester United ace turns down loan move to Premier League side