Laird impresses cutting in from the left despite Swansea defeat
Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird started for Swansea when they travelled to Craven Cottage to face Fulham last night.
The Swans went down 3-1 to Marco Silva’s third-placed side thanks to a hat-trick from Aleksandar Mitrovic.
Laird has played down the right for Swansea so far and his versatility means he can operate as a right-back, right wing-back or even a winger.
It was from right wing-back that he was unlucky not to score after 53 minutes here.
He hit a shot which cannoned off the angle of post and bar, which would have made it 3-2.
But he was also switched to a left-sided role later on, showcasing his versatility.
As per Swansea City online above, he even ended up playing as a left winger by the end.
Last night, United’s full back situation came under scrutiny with Aaron Wan-Bissaka missing for the visit of Villarreal.
Diogo Dalot struggled throughout the match at Old Trafford. Academy graduates like Laird and Brandon Williams might not yet be ready for big European nights, but some fans will be questioning the pecking order at full-back after last night.
As for Laird, his performance drew some praise from Swansea fans on Twitter despite the defeat.
There’s an understanding that Fulham are one of the best sides in the league and here’s how his display went down…
- Manchester United star and City ace discussed derby on flight back from international duty
- Erik ten Hag says he's impressed by 'really strong' Manchester United star over international break
- What channel is Manchester City v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United's 5 best wins against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v City, Ten Hag picks attacker for first start this season