David de Gea is enduring possibly the worst moment of his career after Manchester United’s Europa League final defeat.
He conceded 11 penalties in the shootout and then missed the decisive one to hand Villarreal the victory.
De Gea’s teammates past and present have been rallying round the goalkeeper.
Fellow Spaniards Juan Mata and Ander Herrera posted messages of support to De Gea.
Herrera chose to accompany his with a picture of the trio winning the Europa League in 2017 with United in happier times.
Herrera’s message translated as, “Football has given me friends for life, always by your side”.
De Gea responded to both messages with a simple heart emoji, acknowledging the support.
De Gea was consoled after the game by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and posted his own message 12 hours after the defeat.
De Gea future unclear
What we don’t know is if this will be the final time we see David de Gea in a Manchester United shirt.
Solskjaer has balanced the goalkeeping situation finely between De Gea and Dean Henderson this season, but it is not sustainable to do so long term.
A choice will have to be made this summer, and if this is the end of the line for De Gea, then it will be a sad moment to bow out on.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit