Ismaila Sarr remains at the very least a credible back-up option for Manchester United.
The Telegraph reported United have made an enquiry for Sarr and are considering him as a contingency plan amid a desire to sign at least one winger.
United have an extended deadline to sign Sarr, until October 16, with English clubs permitted to do business with Football League sides until then.
Sarr had a very disjointed Premier League season with Watford, playing under three permanent managers.
What was notable about the 22-year-old is that he managed to impress all of them.
Seal of approval
Javi Gracia told the Watford Observer: “He’s a player with big offensive skills, he can play both sides: right, left, and as a striker sometimes.
“He is very strong physically, very fast and he’s very good in the spaces.”
Quique Flores told the same outlet.: “I think the best quality of Sarr is, of course, his skill. The velocity is something very pure and very interesting for us.”
Nigel Pearson added: “His qualities give us something very different. He’s still got things to learn of course.
“But his ability and his physical attributes mean as a modern player, he’s potentially going to have a very good career for sure.”
What can we take from this?
All three managers were pleased to have such a unique player in their team. Sarr would bring the same qualities to United.
Gracia’s comments about Sarr’s versatility are particularly interesting, about his capability of playing on both flanks, and up front.
United need cover across the forward positions, and Sarr could help out Marcus Rashford on the left, and Mason Greenwood on the right.
Sarr may quite obviously not be United’s first choice, but he is a game changer, and this side needs more of those.
Ismaila Sarr: Player profile
- Just getting started at 22
Already Sarr has top flight experience in France and England. He has more than 100 appearances for Metz, Rennes, and Watford.
- Prolific in France
Sarr’s form for Rennes was particularly eye-catching. In the 2018/19 season he scored 13 goals and provided 11 assists, netting against Arsenal in the Europa League.
- Ended Liverpool’s unbeaten run
Sarr almost single-handedly ended Liverpool’s hopes of going through the league season unbeaten in 2019/20. He scored twice and assisted another in a surprise 3-0 win for Watford.
- He’s already caused United problems
Sarr’s shot prompted an awful error from David de Gea in United’s defeat to Watford last season. He also got the better of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, with his speed prompting the right-back to give away a penalty in a 2-0 win.
- Mane’s successor?
The speed and explosive ability Sarr possesses has seen him compared to Senegalese international teammate Sadio Mane. He is already a regular for his country with 22 caps.
- Photo: Martial points to Sevilla badge after signing deal, squad number unveiled, Rashford reacts
- Done deal: Sevilla confirm loan signing of Anthony Martial
- Denis Irwin gives his verdict on Manchester United's competition for places
- Who is the winger with £67m release clause Manchester United are linked with signing?
- 'Good deal'… Rio Ferdinand gives his verdict on Manchester United star's loan exit
- 'Speed'… Boss says Manchester United 20-year-old's pace crucial to first ever international cap
- Anthony Martial's best 5 moments as a Manchester United player as Sevilla loan exit nears
- Manchester United forward Anthony Martial pictured in Spain ahead of joining Sevilla on loan
- 'There's no downside': Middlesbrough boss plotting Old Trafford win, he's already beaten United