There has been plenty of talk about whether Bruno Fernandes will his Manchester United debut against Wolves this Saturday.
While that remains to be seen, there could be a new-boy making his bow for the Old Gold at Old Trafford – Daniel Podence.
Podence has moved to Molineux from Olympiacos and could provide a new conundrum for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to answer on Saturday.
Solskjaer’s side have managed to keep Wolves quiet across 180 minutes of the FA Cup third round clash, but how best for the Norwegian to deal with the new winger in the Wolves ranks?
Who can help stop Podence?
Wolves appear likely to play their usual 3-4-3 formation and it’s not certain which side Podence would play on if he started.
Brandon Williams has had a good breakthrough season and relished his battle with Pedro Neto in the FA Cup replay at Old Trafford earlier this month.
That said, Aaron Wan-Bissaka is probably the best one on one defender at the club, with his recovery pace complimenting the timing of his tackles well.
The Englishman is probably best suited to the task of silencing a debutant who would be keen to impress.
Adama Traore was Wolves’ biggest threat in both the FA Cup matches this season, causing United problems with his searing pace.
He is capable of playing on both sides and could well rotate with Podence throughout the match.
That would prove to be a real test of Williams’ defensive credentials, but he has passed every test put in front of him so far this season.
If Wan-Bissaka does manage to shackle Podence, Traore could switch to his wing to try and take him on.
United have played with a back three often of late, which could match up better against Wolves’ own 3-4-3 formation.
This is certainly a new challenge, from a side United know well. United will have to be prepared.
- Report: Ralf Rangnick recommends Manchester United sign star who is 'streets ahead of Maguire'
- Manchester United star at risk of missing clash with former side following injury setback
- 5 things which have changed since Manchester United were top of the league one year ago today
- Manchester United's most exciting attacking player must make key change to his game
- Report: Europa League club linked with January swoop for yet another Manchester United player