Harry Maguire could make quick return, United should not risk him
Manchester United might finally have a bit of good news. Harry Maguire’s hip injury is reportedly not as bad as first feared.
The Mail report Maguire could be available this weekend if he is needed.
This is a relief considering our current lack of options at the back. Eric Bailly, Marcos Rojo and Axel Tuanzebe are all also out injured.
But this weekend is not the time to risk Maguire by rushing him back.
It’s an easy decision to rest him
United face struggling Norwich City at Old Trafford this weekend and their top scorer Teemu Pukki may not be fit to play.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will have been planning without Maguire for this fixture, and should continue to do so.
Victor Lindelöf and Phil Jones can redeem themselves after midweek’s catastrophe against City.
And if one of them was not fit, United should be bold and start Di’Shon Bernard or Teden Mengi. But not Maguire.
Bigger battles to fight
Maguire needs time to rest even if his injury is recovering quicker than previously expected.
In the next week United host Wolves in a FA Cup replay at Old Trafford, before visiting Liverpool in the Premier League next weekend.
Ideally Maguire would play in both of those, certainly the game at Anfield. So he needs to be saved for this fixture.
If he plays against Norwich and then re-aggravates injury, it would be a terrible look for United and Solskjaer.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out