Hannibal Mejbri could be fast tracked to United first team
Manchester United are considering fast tracking wonderkid Hannibal Mejbri into the first team.
That is according to the MEN, who report Mejbri could make his debut in the coming weeks.
United’s injury crisis in midfield has left the club thin in terms of options.
Mejbri signed for United from Monaco and while he is just 16, he has made an immediate impression.
He is already a regular for the under-23 team and it looks like United have a special player.
Is it too soon?
Probably, yes, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.
At present Mejbri is behind a few players in the queue. James Garner and Dylan Levitt have already featured for the first team this season.
Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal and Aliou Traore all have more under-23 experience than Mejbri too.
It does appear already that the French teenager has remarkable ability, and it is possible to see him overtaking this trio at least.
The next step for Mejbri is this week’s FA Youth Cup fixture against Norwich tomorrow.
Seeing him progress to the first team in his first season would be a bright development, but United shouldn’t rely on him or expect him to solve the club’s problems.
Key first team players Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay are out injured, opening up the chance Mejbri could be promoted.
We would expect Garner or Levitt to get the nod before him, but if either of them are sent out on loan, Mejbri would move a step closer.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate