Gary Lineker praises Manchester United and Edinson Cavani's response to ban
Edinson Cavani will miss Manchester United’s game with Aston Villa tonight as he begins a three match ban.
BBC Sport report Cavani has accepted a ban from the FA for a social media post which contained a Spanish word which could be deemed offensive.
United and Cavani made clear that the post, sent to a friend, was sent with affectionate intent rather than any malice.
The FA took a dim view regardless and banned Cavani anyway as well as slapping him with a £100,000 fine.
The view of most supporters and those in the media appears to be that the FA’s punishment is excessive.
Gary Lineker praised Cavani and United’s dignified response. Even the outspoken Piers Morgan appeared to come across as the voice of reason, which tells you how badly the FA appear to have judged this one.
United’s response on the official club website read: “As he has stated, Edinson Cavani wasn’t aware that his words could have been misconstrued and he sincerely apologised for the post and to anyone who was offended.
Despite his honest belief that he was simply sending an affectionate thank-you in response to a congratulatory message from a close friend, he chose not to contest the charge, out of respect for, and solidarity with, the FA and the fight against racism in football.“
Cavani will miss the game against Aston Villa tonight plus the Carabao Cup semi-final with Manchester City, and the FA Cup clash with Watford.
If United can get positive results in all three, we will be stronger for it, with Cavani also rested up and ready to go in the following league matches against Burnley and Liverpool.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season