Gareth Southgate says Luke Shaw is ill rather than injured
Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has been included in Gareth Southgate’s latest England squad.
Shaw, along with teammates Jesse Lingard and Jadon Sancho, has got the nod despite missing the game with Villarreal.
Marcus Rashford, Dean Henderson and Harry Maguire have all been left out.
At the press conference following the confirmation of his squad, Southgate shed some light on Shaw’s current fitness issue.
Shaw limped off against Aston Villa and it had been widely presumed that he was injured.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer didn’t give a specific update before the Villarreal clash, but Southgate has said that Shaw is ill, not injured.
When asked about Shaw and Chelsea duo Reece James and Mason Mount, he said: “They’ve still to appear for their clubs so there’s still an element of the unknown with that.
“I think Luke’s was more of an illness than anything else. That was our understanding. We don’t play until next Saturday, that’s our first game and we’ll know more by then hopefully.”
What Southgate said tallies with a Telegraph report from yesterday, which said Shaw was ill.
That looks to remove the prospect of Shaw being out for a long period of time with an injury, like teammate Maguire.
It remains to be seen whether he’ll be back to face Everton on Saturday, but he should be okay for the first game of England’s international break, against Andorra.
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer