Four possible squad numbers for Edinson Cavani at Manchester United
Edinson Cavani’s move to Manchester United could be finalised today.
ESPN Deportes report Cavani is due in Manchester for a medical after agreeing to join the club.
The Uruguayan is a free agent after leaving Paris Saint-Germain in June, one of the clubs United will face in the Champions League group stages.
Before Cavani’s move is sealed, we can take a moment to speculate on the possible squad numbers he may take.
Here is a look at a few possible options for the soon to be United striker…
A player as illustrious and experienced as Edinson Cavani will have no problem with the pressure the number 7 shirt brings.
Although there may be one too many parallels with Alexis Sanchez if he does.
If Cavani gets the seven shirt, it will show United have given up on a move for Jadon Sancho.
With that in mind, United may wait until after the deadline before announcing Cavani’s squad number, just to wait and see which, if any, wingers arrive too.
The number 15 is now available after Andreas Pereira was loaned out to Lazio.
There is not anything which would make this stand out as a good number for Cavani, but it’s a low one, and it would allow him to create his own history with it.
A few strikers have worn the number 19 shirt at United lately.
Danny Welbeck and Marcus Rashford both previously did so.
It currently lies vacant and is an option Cavani could take up.
The number 20 has been vacated by Diogo Dalot, now loaned out to AC Milan.
This has been a successful one for strikers at Manchester United in the past.
Just ask Ole Gunnar Solskjaer himself, or Robin van Persie.
The number 20 is the most probable one for Cavani on this basis.
- 30-year-old playmaker 'verbally agrees' to join Manchester United on three-year deal
- Manchester United believe they will sign seven-time international after positive talks with director
- Cristiano Ronaldo not expected back at Manchester United training today
- Manchester United could sign attacker with 'fantastic speed' for £10m, release clause is £54m
- £26m bonus could now open up to Manchester United to pay new signings
- Manchester United could sign 'electrifying' attacker for around £50m, says expert
- Ten Hag 'confident': Fabrizio Romano gives update on Manchester United double deal
- Manchester United linked with £35m move for former West Brom loanee as Cristiano Ronaldo seeks exit
- 'Go smash it': Manchester United players react to Dean Henderson's loan move to Nottingham Forest
- 'He's got strong beliefs': Former Manchester United man gives his verdict on Ten Hag and Jesse Lingard's next move