Five facts about reported United target Boubakary Soumare
Manchester United are reportedly looking to France for potential signings.
ESPN report Boubakary Soumare is on United’s radar along with exciting Lyon striker Moussa Dembele.
Soumare is less well known, so what do we need to know?
Here is a look at five facts about the potential United recruit…
- Soumare is a central midfielder who plays for Lille. He was signed by former boss Marcelo Bielsa, who won the race after he decided to quit PSG’s academy at the age of 18. He made his debut in his first season.
- He is now a regular for Lille, with 52 first team games to his name already. Three of those have come in the Champions League this season. Soumare is also a France under-21 international.
- Interestingly, Soumare is out of contract at the end of the season. This sets up a potential bargain in January or a free transfer next summer. GFFN France reported in the summer, via RMC, that Wolves had a 40 million Euro bid rejected for him.
- Soumare is a box-to-box midfielder who is both a strong tackler and a good passer. He is also comfortable running with the ball. He has predictably been touted as the next Paul Pogba, and ESPN report United see him as a potential successor.
- At the moment, Soumare has the same number of goals in his career as he does red cards, one each. His only strike so far came against Lyon at the end of last season.
Soumare could be a really big upgrade for United, but not on Paul Pogba. He would be brought in as a replacement for Nemanja Matic.
Matic is being linked with a move away from United to Inter Milan, SkySports report. It’s time to cash in.
The 31-year-old has been picked to start just two league games, and is now suffering with injury.
He needs replacing, and Soumare, just 20, is an exciting replacement with great potential.
These are the types of deals United need to make. The club needs to be smart, and get rid of expensive, declining players, and replace them with outstanding young talent.
We have seen the upgrade Aaron Wan-Bissaka is over Ashley Young at right-back. Soumare could be the same in midfield ahead of Matic.
If United are bold enough to get both deals done in January, one in and one out, this could be outstanding business.
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley